TaRL Africa Executive & Administrative Associate
Position title: Executive & Administrative Associate
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Deadline: 12th April 2023
Teaching at the Right Level (TaRL) Africa is a not-for-profit organization registered and headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, with teams in Côte d’Ivoire, Nigeria, and Zambia. TaRL Africa began as a joint venture by Pratham and J-PAL in 2019, with the goal of supporting governments and organizations across Africa to accelerate children’s foundational skill learning using the evidence-based TaRL approach. TaRL Africa’s mission is to support every child across Africa to build foundational skills for a better future. We support governments and organizations in over 12 countries in Sub-Saharan Africa to design, deliver and scale impactful TaRL programs while learning and sharing how the approach can be improved for different contexts. Together with partners, TaRL Africa reached over four million children with TaRL programming by 2022.
Summary of the Role
The position will provide executive support to the office of the Executive Director in the overall delivery of the TaRL Africa mandate, including acting as liaison for the activities of the Board of Directors of TaRL Africa.
The position will also support the Finance and Operations Director in coordinating the procurement and administration functions of TaRL Africa, to ensure adherence to timeliness, cost effectiveness, efficiency and effective management of goods and services.
Duties and Responsibilities
Executive support to the Executive Director (ED):
- Act as the point of contact for the ED with internal /external public. This includes, but not limited to receiving and directing visitors, handling telephone calls and inquiries, managing the ED’s daily schedule, screening, analyzing and preparing responses to correspondence and handling day-to-day public relations.
- Anticipate and prepare research and briefing papers in advance for presentations, assist in drafting subsequent correspondence, and making necessary follow-ups as needed
- Support in the review of documents drafted by others for signature and/or dissemination
- Manage and coordinate the ED’s daily calendar and official activities including scheduling meetings/appointments, coordinating and Executive travel and related logistics (e.g., visas, flights, accommodation, travel authorizations, etc.)
- In liaison with the ED, coordinate efficient organizational reporting functions, including 1:1 periodic check-in with direct reports
- Liaise with the ED to coordinate the planning and execution of the Board and sub-committee activities including meetings, board papers/minutes, agendas, reports, etc.
- Serve as rapporteur for the Board meetings and other meetings related to the ED as directed, track action items from the meetings and follow up as needed
- In consultation with the ED, follow up on invitations from partners and ensure TaRL Africa’s representation.
Support to Central office and the Senior Management Team:
- Manage the process of calling for briefings, meetings and checking on staff and stakeholders’ availability
- Support the ED in scheduling and coordinating regular SMT meetings as needed and guided
- Support SMT members with travel logistics including visa applications, flight bookings. Advance request and advance surrenders
Executive support to Country Offices:
- Manage information flow between the ED, donors, board members, country offices and other internal stakeholders
- Serve as the primary point of direct executive contact and liaison with other country and field offices, individuals and external organizations, and agencies on a range of specified issues
- Organize, prepare and facilitate inter-country meetings as required (e.g., Board virtual country tours)
- Assist the ED in responding to queries on projects and programs in Africa, or redirecting such queries as is appropriate
Administration and procurement:
- Support in development of procurement policies and compliance enforcement
- Coordinate procurement processes including effective management of RFQs, RFPs, bid analyses and evaluations, drafting procurement contracts and reviewing supplier deliverables
- Perform due diligence and vetting of suppliers and service providers
- Reviewing supplier /vendor contracts and service level agreements (SLAs) for approval as needed.
- Develop and maintain vendor database and asset register maintenance and tagging systems
- Ensure timely delivery of goods services as per the agreed terms and conditions, as well as invoicing and timely payment of bills
- Ensure compliance with procurement SOP’s
- Process LPO’s in the system and ensure same is delivered to contracted vendors
- Receive, review and process vendors invoice through the ERP
- Provide oversight and management of the movement of items in the stores
- Manage and coordinate all travel (local and international)-related matters, including liaison with travel agents, transporters, foreign missions for visas, accommodation /hotels etc.
- Management of the office lease/s and operational legal contracts.
- Ensure timely attendance and provision of all office requirements/supplies including equipment, furniture and fittings, office supplies and stationery, kitchen supplies IEC materials etc.
- Coordinate timely insurance (including renewals) of office fittings, fixtures and equipment and all other office equipment
- Ensure timely identification and attendance to any office/equipment repairs and maintenance needs
- Development of budgets for the office running costs and sharing with finance for consolidation
- Monitoring actuals against budget for all office related expenses
- Supervising the Administration Associate and office support outsourced service providers
- Any other responsibilities as may be assigned by the direct managers.
The EAO shall have a dual reporting function: to the Executive Director for Executive support functions and to the Finance and Operations Director on the procurement and administration duties.
Qualifications and experience:
- A University Degree in Business Administration, Project Management, Development Studies/International Development and or procurement fields from a recognized institution
- A Masters in Business Administration or Development Studies is an advantage
- Training in leadership or management course(s) in addition to the degree is desired
- At least five years’ work experience in a reputable organization in a similar or equivalent position
- Strong proven track record in working with Director level functions in public administration, development, and/or other related fields.
Required Skills and Competencies:
- Proven track record in organizing Executive meetings at the executive/board level
- Experience in handling donor relations and event management will be an added advantage
- Meticulous organizational and prioritization competence, with attention to detail
- Proactive attitude and ability to take initiative and work independently
- High energy levels and emotional intelligence
- Ability to keep confidential information
- A good team player
- Strong interpersonal skills, outgoing personality, and ability to work independently and effectively under pressure and on strict deadlines in a multicultural setting
- Excellent knowledge of all computer applications
- Superior oral and written communication skills in English and other local languages
- Knowledge of French and/or any other foreign language is an added advantage
TaRL Africa Values
- We put children’s learning first.
- We are always learning, improving, and innovating.
- We are locally rooted for high-quality delivery and sustainable impact.
- We are kind, respectful and collaborative.
- We are proactive, committed to integrity and doing our best each day.
How to apply?
Please fill in APPLICATION by 12th April 2023. Only applications submitted through the form will be accepted. Please note that, due to the large volume of applications, we will only be able to respond to short-listed applicants.
TaRL Africa is an equal opportunity employer and committed to having a diverse workforce.