TaRL Africa Senior Fundraising Manager
Location: Remote (US, Europe, Africa)
Partner, Global Search
+234 818 212 5351 (WhatsApp)
Global HR & People Ops Lead and Principal Consultant, Global Executive Search
+91 98209 49806 (WhatsApp)
Talent Consultant, Global Executive Search
+91 8000725041 (WhatsApp)
About TaRL Africa:
Teaching at the Right Level (TaRL) Africa is a not-for-profit organisation registered and headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, with country offices in Côte d’Ivoire, Nigeria, and Zambia. TaRL Africa began as a joint venture by Pratham and J-PAL in 2019, with the goal of supporting governments and organisations across Africa to accelerate children’s foundational skill learning using the evidence-based TaRL approach.TaRL Africa’s mission is to support every child across Africa to build foundational skills for a better future. We have built the capacity of governments and organisations in over 12 countries in Sub-Saharan Africa to design, deliver and scale impactful programs while learning and sharing how the approach can be improved for different contexts. Together with partners, TaRL Africa reached over four million children with TaRL programming in 2022. You can find more information on the organization by visiting their website.
About the Role:
TaRL Africa is seeking a full-time Senior Fundraising Manager to contribute to its mission of equipping all children with foundational reading and math skills. They are seeking a dynamic and motivated fundraising and relationship management professional to lead the execution of TaRL Africa’s philanthropic engagement and stewardship strategies. The Senior Fundraising Manager will join a committed, caring, and multi-skilled Programs and Partnerships team and work closely with TaRL Africa’s senior leadership team, as well as country teams in Nigeria and Cote d’Ivoire.
This is a new role at TaRL Africa that reflects growing opportunities and their ambition to leverage resources to achieve their mission. They are seeking someone with a track record of success who has a passion for education and is eager to understand the TaRL approach, TaRL programs across the continent, and TaRL Africa’s way of working such that they are able to accurately communicate about the organization’s work.
Working closely with TaRL Africa’s senior leadership team, the Grants Manager, and members of the Programs and Partnerships team, the Senior Fundraising Manager will anchor the organization’s overall philanthropic fundraising and stewardship strategy, including prospect identification, solicitation, and building capabilities across TaRL Africa to do this work better. A key goal will be to develop, build buy-in for, and execute a strategy to significantly increase annual unrestricted funding at TaRL Africa, as well as support fundraising efforts for specific strategies and projects.
TaRL approach and TaRL Africa work understanding:
- Develop a deep understanding of the TaRL approach and TaRL Africa’s work through in-person visits to see TaRL Africa classrooms and deep engagement with TaRL Africa team members. This will be essential to fulfilling the role.
- Proactively engage with the country and central teams at TaRL Africa to identify communication opportunities and to ensure the content aligns with existing work and values.
Research, solicitation, and proposal development:
- Develop a philanthropic engagement strategy based on a review of the current portfolio, successes, and challenges and with inputs from the senior leadership management team.
- Identify philanthropic prospects and opportunities for core support and new initiatives/programs with a goal to bring in gifts and grants in the $1m-$5m range as well as increase the number of 5-6 figure gifts.
- Develop new funding relationships and support TaRL Africa leadership and senior staff to cultivate their own relationships. This will entail recommending appropriate cultivation and solicitation strategies and timing for donor/prospect visits, debriefing, and managing follow-up activities.
- Collaborate closely with TaRL Africa staff; on prospect programs/initiatives and solicitation.
- Create, edit, and project manage proposal development and submission.
- Evaluate, implement, and oversee the process for tailored, innovative stewardship of philanthropic partners to increase engagement and giving over time.
- Improve processes to ensure the timely and accurate completion of stewardship activities including gift acknowledgements, solicitation and cultivation mailings, and event invitations.
- Develop and manage a donor pipeline of prospects and proposals, and fundraising contacts and engagement in grants databases.
- Coordinate and send thank-you letters, greeting cards, memos, newsletters, reports and maintain timely touch points.
- Provide advice and assistance, including training and strategy development, to the Programs and Partnerships team, core partners and country teams.
- Coordinate, develop, and maintain regular outreach and communications with current and prospective program donors and partners, including writing and editing of funder reports.
Communications and events for TaRL Africa fundraising activities:
- Prepare internal fundraising materials including briefs, presentations, and agendas; as well as external communications for a donor audience, including one-pagers, blog posts, social media posts, and webpages.
- Anchor preparation and execution of in-person and virtual events, roundtables, and dinners to broaden and deepen TaRL Africa’s philanthropic engagements.
- Support the communications team on strong storytelling and brand development activities.
Does this sound like you?
- Master’s degree in International Development; Economics; Public Policy; Public Administration; MBA or another relevant field.
- 5 to 7 years of work experience in fundraising or related fields.
- Strong writing skills and the ability to effectively communicate with a variety of internal and external stakeholders including senior leadership in-person and virtually.
- Excellent project and team management skills.
- Ability to anticipate, plan, prioritize, and meet deadlines, manage multiple tasks and small teams, respond to numerous requests from various parties, and effectively handle a high volume of work.
- Capable of dealing with high-profile organizations and officials with diplomacy and integrity.
- Ability to interpret, analyze, monitor, and track budget reports.
- Strong interpersonal skills with an ability to collaborate and work with others, a positive team player with a mission-first attitude willing to roll up your sleeves.
- Interested in children’s learning and quality education and/or experience working in education.
- Excellent verbal communications skills in English (French is optional).
Persons of all gender, race, sex, orientation, age, and identity are encouraged to apply. If you have any questions concerning the role or want to express interest you can write to Shivani Nair at firstname.lastname@example.org and cc Mahira Biswas at email@example.com. If interested click on this link to apply: https://www.shortlist.net/jobs/6606
TaRL Africa is an equal opportunity employer and committed to having a diverse workforce.